The Communications & Media Relations Specialist is responsible for assisting in the design and execution of strategies and campaigns to maximize opportunities for accurate and positive positioning across all of Feed the Children’s markets, while also supporting the management of key communications and media relations issues. The Communications & Media Relations Specialist will help develop communication initiatives and programs to develop brand awareness, build engagement and drive participation by internal and external audiences.
This position will be a visible ambassador for the organization with the goal of advancing Feed the Children’s brand with relevant constituents. The Communications & Media Relations Specialist will report directly to the Director of Communications and PR.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for the development and execution of communications and media relations projects from conception through implementation to reporting, providing both management and hands-on involvement in all phases.
- Establish, monitor and review the communications and media relations strategy in conjunction with the Director of Communications & PR to ensure that the departmental goals are aligned with key business objectives.
- Proactively research and identify creative channels, properties, communities and technology to drive organizational awareness.
- Develop strategic media plans to position Feed the Children for local, national and international media attention.
- Develop strong working relationships with the media on a national level, as well as provide timely responses to media requests and reporting to promote positive exposure surrounding Feed the Children’s programs, events and initiatives.
- Create compelling, timely materials to support campaigns, briefings, report submissions, press announcements, etc.
- Manage organizational internal communications efforts, including the development of written and verbal communications, staff newsletter, etc.
- Provide strategic consulting to internal departments to ensure consistency of key messaging and branding across the organization while also promoting cross functional collaboration.
- Develop an engaged Internal Events Committee responsible for the implementation of internal employee events which includes the delegation of assignments amongst the committee members.
- Contribute strategic insight into the corporate social media and marketing plans as it relates to communications and media relations initiatives.
- Manage weekly and monthly reports using media tracking software to track trends and specific communications and media relations matrices.
- Develop future communications and media relations strategies based on data derived through media reports.
- Manage the communications and media relations content deliverables to ensure brand message is consistent, timely and relevant.
- Exercise independent judgment when prioritizing media opportunities and pitching stories to media contacts.
- Proactively identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization, both internally and externally, that could potentially impact the brand perception and value.
- Develop presentations and other communications materials for internal and external audiences.
- Establish timeliness and oversee the timely development of items related to communications and media relations.
- Develop new and creative ways to differentiate ways to bring Feed the Children’s brand to life.
- Track and analyze program effectiveness to determine ROI and prioritize resources.
- Support the development of organizational editorial and messaging calendars, working cross departmentally to ensure messages are consistent across departments.
- Must be able to work under pressure, work accurately and meet tight deadlines.
- Establish an environment of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, a commitment to quality, welcomes and encourages collaboration, and fosters both intra and inter-departmental dialogue and respect.
- Model the type and level of behavior, professionalism and personal leadership that is in accordance with the values of the organization.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or Public Relations preferred
- 2+ years of experience in communications, media, public relations or a related field required
- 2+ years of experience in developing stories and understanding news cycle required
- Proven experience in pitching media stories, both locally and nationally
- Proven success in project management and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Exceptional editing, communication and writing skills required
- Demonstrated ability to implement communications and media programs preferred
- Proven leadership abilities through management of a committee, project, etc. preferred
- Established relationships with media contacts preferred
- Experience managing social media platforms for business preferred
- Experience working in a nonprofit organization preferred
- Any combination of education, training, and experience may be considered
- Licenses and Certifications:
- Member of PRSA and/or IABC preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Computer Skills – Intermediate skills using Microsoft Office products Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; respond promptly to customer needs; solicit customer feedback to improve service; respond to requests for service and assistance; meet commitments.
- English Language — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Oral Communication - Speak clearly, persuasively and professionally in positive or negative situations; listen and gets clarification; Respond well to questions; demonstrate group presentation skills; participate in meetings.
- Written Communication - Write clearly and informatively; edit work for spelling and grammar; vary writing style to meet needs; present numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balance team and individual responsibilities; exhibit objectivity and openness to others' views; give and welcome feedback; contribute to building a positive team spirit; put success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; support everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Ethics - Treat people with respect; keep commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Reasoning - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form; ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Travel: The travel requirements for this position are estimated to be up to 20% of the work time. Travel may include Domestic and International travel. Driver’s license and passport required.
- Physical Demands - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk and use hands and fingers. The employee is occasionally required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
To apply, click here.