The Down Syndrome Association of Central Oklahoma (DSACO) seeks an exceptional leader who can help continue the growth of this organization as it moves into a new phase of sustainability and impact as its Executive Director.
Founded in 1999, the Down Syndrome Association of Central Oklahoma (DSACO) provides education, support, and resources to individuals with Down syndrome, their families, professionals, and the community. DSACO also builds public awareness and acceptance of the abilities of individuals with Down syndrome. The organization has a rich history of accomplishments, including serving Central Oklahoma through educational, social and recreational programs for the past 10 years.
DSACO's dynamic group of board members and dedicated volunteers want to continue to build on this solid foundation and serve Central Oklahoma even more effectively in partnership with an Executive Director. Strategic, relationship-based growth and diversification of donor income over the next three years is a key organizational goal, as is the completion of a comprehensive strategic plan.
Desired Experience and Attributes:
The Executive Director will report to the Board of Directors, provide leadership to the organization and manage day-to-day operations.
Successful candidates must have:
- Proven record of fundraising success with corporate, individual, foundation, and other forms of support such as special events and membership
- Excellent communication skills and a respectful and collaborative approach to fostering partnerships and community alliances with diverse stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience leading an organization through significant growth and successfully implementing systems, processes and infrastructure
- Administrative experience as an Executive Director or comparable executive, including financial management, board development and resource management experience
- Compassionate, engaging, and open style and skill in building effective teams and consensus around issues, initiatives and a common agenda
- Passion for serving and advocating for children and adults with Down syndrome.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (including Dreamweaver) a plus.
The Executive Director is responsible for the effective leadership, management and financial health of DSACO.
In development and marketing, the Executive Director will:
- Develop and publish consistent communications with the organization’s audiences, including e-newsletters, web site content, social media, written materials, annual reports, brochures, flyers, invitations and other communiques.
- Continue to develop and execute successful fund development strategies, working closely with the board to maintain and increase current levels of giving while identifying and securing new funding sources, including:
- Identify new prospective corporate, foundation, and government sources of funding and write and submit proposals accordingly
- Develop and institute an individual donor program and donor stewardship activities
- oManage major fundraising events such as the Festival & 5K and DSACO Cup
- Raise the profile of DSACO by actively and effectively representing the organization to funders, community leaders and the community at large and implementing sound marketing and public relations strategies
- Manages grant outreach efforts (government, foundation, corporate) by researching and identifying grant possibilities, writing and/or editing grant proposals, and ensuring consistent organizational messaging and appropriately timed asks
- Maintains member and donor records in Exceed database, solicits and acknowledges donations, and prepares correspondence regarding the organization and its programs. May arrange and attend meetings with donors and prospective donors
- Effectively advocate for legislation, education and training and general awareness of Down syndrome
In program development and administration, the Executive Director will:
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop and Execute a long-range strategy to achieve DSACO's mission by overseeing and strengthening DSACO's programs and services
- Coordinate current DSACO programs and services
- Develop evaluation criteria, including assessment of member and partner needs, to measure effectiveness and efficiency of existing programs and recommend changes in programming to the Board
- Recruit, retain, and motivate a diverse team of top quality volunteers to execute DSACO's programs and services
In budget and finance, the Executive Director will:
- Ensure DSACO applies sound financial and administrative practice through effective fiscal management such that the organization grows in a fiscally prudent fashion
- Work with the Finance Committee, and the board in preparing a budget and monitoring financial performance against budget guidelines each year
- Work with DSACO's Treasurer and Accountant to ensure that appropriate financial information is maintained in Quickbooks, timely reports are made, and the board and appropriate committees are well-informed about financial matters
In organizational development, the Executive Director will:
- Work closely with the board to effectively and quickly transition DSACO from a volunteer-led organization to a governance board model
- Work with the Board of Directors and Bylaws Committee to finalize and institute updated Bylaws for the organization, and from those bylaws, develop comprehensive policies and procedures as needed and at the request and approval of the board
- Partner with the board to complete a comprehensive strategic plan within the first year of arrival, and actively support Board-led committees to implement strategic and annual operating plans
- Continue to establish the systems, processes and infrastructure necessary to effectively implement the organization's mission
- Ensure that all organizational policies, practices, and values are in compliance with professional standards and further organizational success
Some evening and weekend time is required for this position, with some travel throughout the year.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required.
- Minimum of three to five years of executive or management experience is required
To apply, please send letter of interest that includes minimum salary requirements, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org By April 17, 2015. DSACO is an Equal Opportunity employer.
The position start date is on or after May 25, 2015.
Salary Commensurate with Experience